CSAA Insurance GroupPhoenix, AZ
Insurance Group Relies on DSI to Design and Build State-of-the-Art Tier 3 Data Center to Support Improved Customer Experience
CSAA Insurance Group offers automobile, homeowners and other personal lines of insurance to AAA members through partnerships with AAA clubs in 23 states and the District of Columbia. It is one of the largest personal lines insurance groups in the United States.
CSAA needed a new data center solution to support the growth of their applications development test lab. A colocation site, based in Tempe, Arizona, was not able to meet the needs of the IT, engineering and software development staff, which was based in Glendale, Arizona, nearly 20 miles away. Traveling between Glendale and Tempe was counterproductive, inefficient and time consuming.
CSAA’s options were to either find a new colocation site closer to their Glendale operations or build a new data center in Glendale that would meet their current needs and support future growth.
After determining that a new Tier 3 data center at their Glendale facility was the best option, CSAA worked closely with Data Specialties Inc. (DSI) to design and build a state-of-the-art complex. The new data center included:
- Two new transformers, each fed from a separate utility switch
- Redundant 500kW UPS systems, each with Redundant Battery Strings
- Redundant 2250kW Diesel Generators
- Redundant Power Distribution to the IT load
- Redundant Air Cooled Chillers
- Redundant InRow Cooling Units
- Hot Aisle Containment System
- Fire and Life Safety including Pre-Action sprinklers, NOVEC-1230 Gas and VESDA air sampling systems
- Integrated infrastructure Controls and Monitoring System
- Video Surveillance and Access Control
CSAA elected to locate the new data center in the same building that housed their IT, engineering and software developer teams to maximize the efficiency of the new facility. The new data center has facilitated increased development and testing of applications of the company’s insurance products. New applications for AAA’s roadside assistance and travel departments have also been created at an accelerated rate, delivering faster and improved service to members.