7×24 Exchange – So Cal Chapter Continues Virtual Data Center Education and Networking
COVID-19 has not slowed down the Southern California Chapter of 7×24 Exchange, as they continue to deliver impactful educational discussions. Last week’s Zoom meeting was no different as Greg Stover of Vertiv made a great presentation on “High Density is Coming.” Following was an informative panel discussion which Greg moderated and was joined by Data Center experts: Steve Press (Kaiser Permanente), Steve Coon (kW Mission Critical Engineering) and Hector Diaz (Servtech, Inc.).
During his initial presentation, Greg gave an overview of the infrastructure impacts from AI, IoT and 5G, and how to leverage CFD modeling to understand the impact of equipment before it’s deployed and funding considerations.
Some key takeaways:
- 73% report testing, actively evaluating or using AI in production
- 20-30kW Racks are showing up everywhere
- Rack Densities are rising rapidly!
- 30-54kW Racks are becoming much more common
- Vertiv’s Hot-Aisle Chambers & Row Coolers can accommodate up to 34kW
- Vertiv’s Rear Door Heat Exchangers (RDHx) can accommodate 25-54kW Racks
Additionally, Greg touched on some of the interesting work that Vertiv is up to utilizing 2 Phase Liquid Immersion Cooling that is reportedly 4000 times more efficient than air cooling. Speaking of liquid cooling, in case you missed our earlier blog on liquid cooling, you can get our take here: Liquid Cooling Blog.
Didn’t have time for the full Zoom Meeting? Download the slide deck here: High Density is Coming
We look forward to next meeting’s discussion!